This section presents research that addresses popular beliefs about men who are attracted to minors and about adult-minor sexual interaction.
- Pedophiles and ephebophiles are child molesters.
- They are violent and have a desire for power.
- They were sexually abused as children.
- They are always adults.
- They are psychosexually immature or fear adult relationships.
- They are socially inadequate and have low intelligence.
- They are psychopathic or neurotic.
- Child sexual abuse can be diagnosed by certain symptoms.
- Sex with adults always severely harms children and adolescents.
- The proportion of sexually abused children is known to be large.